What is mapbox? It is an online directory of custom built maps for your needs. You can design your own map, build applications, extend applications, use satellite imagery and create static maps. You can even have PIRATE SHIP MAPS Arrrhhhhhh. (in pirate speak)
- So first off you'll have to register with mapbox.com
- Once you are logged in go to Account > API access tokens > copy and paste your token. You'll need this for Tableau.
- Open up Tableau > connect to your data source that has geographical locations. For this case we will use the sample sales data set that is preloaded in Tableau.
- Map > Background Maps > Map Service to open a pop up box.
- Add > Mapbox Services > Classic
- Fill in a style name for this map > Paste in the access token you previously copied
- Drop the selection box down and it will provide a list of classic maps already for your use. For this case we are going to use Emerald.
- Take your city dimension from the data set > double click or drag and drop to populate a map. See below the before and after without mapbox and with.
With Mapbox Emerald
If you make multiple mapbox maps and want to populate different styles on different worksheets, you can!
- Maps > Background Maps > Emerald. Here you have a list of maps that you have created - notice I have pirates sat there too.
So here you have a basic understanding of using mapbox - you can go further and learn more look out for the next blog post.
Happy Mapping, literally go explore!